Friday, February 9, 2007

The update

I just got back from a family (future that is) dinner at Travis and Nikita's house. Travis is Wes' brother, and he married Nikita in South Africa over Christmas (she is from Joberg). Wes' parents were there along with some of Trav and Niks' friends. It was great to spend time with them. Niks wanted to know all about the wedding, and everyone from California seems to be initially a little suprised about the attire. My brother, Mike, wondered about how Californians would interpret the dress code. He questioned whether or not some Southern California locals would show up to the black tie affair in a regular suit and a black tie. In Texas there is no question that black tie implies a tuxedo, but it seems that it is quite rare to wear a tux in California. In fact, Hauger, one of the groomsmen, had never heard of a cumberbun until I told him what he would be wearing to the event. He asked me the difference between tails (what he will be wearing) and a tux. It was so amusing to me that he was clueless on this subject after growing up seeing my dad and brothers wearing their tuxedo's fairly regulary to functions such as the family dance every Christmas, proms, weddings, formal parties.... Our wedding may be different from the norm here, but I am so excited to have a traditional wedding in a little chapel that I grew up in.

I better get to bed. I am taking the CBEST in the morning and though I am confident in my abilities to pass the test, I really need to pass it before I can apply to any credentialing programs for next year and the next possible date I could take it is in June right before my wedding. I know that the Lord is faithful to provide for whatever path He has for me, so I am really not that concerned. I just always like to put my best effort forth, and I haven't prepared as extensively as I would have if I had been aware I would be taking the test a little earlier. I have heard it is really easy, but who knows. It is a good thing it is all in the Lord's hands.

1 comment:

Joseph J. Tomaino said...

Hi...you might want to refer your Californian's to a great reference eBook at http://www.blacktieaffair.com
It would clue them in on what to wear and what to expect!