Saturday, February 3, 2007

Marriage Counseling

Today Wes and I had our first marriage counseling session with Dave Congo, Wes' brother in law's father. He is a Christian marriage counselor and has a practice with his wife, Jan. They are such wonderful and loving people. We are so blessed to be able to have him be involved in the wedding ceremony and help us in our premarital counseling. We went over the wedding details including possible vows, the layout of the church, and wedding party, and the elements of the ceremony. Wes and I love that he wants to make the ceremony really personal to us. He understands how important it is to us that the Lord is honored and the bigger purpose for marriage recognized, yet he also knows the value of tailoring the ceremony to us and what is so special about our relationship. I know he will do such a great job. He also gave us homework assignments that Wes and I started on our dinner date. We have a workbook and a book written by Dave and Jan to go through. We also have a temperment quiz to take. I answer one sheet how I percieve myself on a number of issues and then how I percieve Wes, and he does the same. Then we get to look at how we see ourselves compared to how we see each other. Then we will talk through any differences or discrepencies.

We won't see Jan and Dave until the end of April when we will spend the weekend at their home going over things we should know before walking down the isle. We are booked before then which is kinda crazy. The way our schedules work right now, Wes and I just don't even get to spend that much time with each other, much less our other good friends. It is hard not to get to spend the time with him I wish we had, but it is so comforting to know that this is just a season and in less than five months we will get to be married! We are so blessed!

No comments: