Saturday, March 17, 2007

News from Maine

Yesterday I had way too much sugar, but the good news is, we have found a cake lady! My mom, Craig (the event planner) and myself took off on a two hour trip North to find a cake lady I found on the internet. We ended up lost on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere and eventually made our way to Diane's kitchen, where she had set up a cake tasting including a printed out menu, waters, pens for note taking, and specially made cookie bridesmaid dresses with my initials on them for gifts. What an elaborate tasting. She has the cutest little quiet house with a beautiful view and we sat for an hour and tasted 11 cakes that were made specially for us. They were incredible, and we actually decided on five flavors to use... three in the groom's cake and two in the wedding cake. I won't give away all the details, but they were soo good! In fact, we came home from the tasting with half of the cakes left for my dad and my mom's cousin to taste and ended up retasting them ourselves and switching our choices. Pretty much all I ate aside from a nice dinner in Portland was cake! The cake lady also makes cookies which she ships and seem to keep her really busy. She can design anything you want her to, but she has a number of examples on her website. She also ships pound cakes, and I highly recommend her wild maine blueberry one for breakfast/brunch! You can find Diane at http://www.mainecakesandcookies.com/. Check it out!

Yesterday we also got about ten inches of snow here. When we got off the plane on Wednesday, it was 65 degrees, and yesterday it was back down in twenties and snowing. We braved it and made the trip to town for dinner, but it looks like I won't be doing much outdoors today. Yesterday, we also went to Damariscotta pottery on the way to the cake lady to the store where our fun pottery is coming from. I got to pick out a number of pieces that are being kept there for order. It was fun to pick out pieces myself instead of just looking through the hundreds my mom had.

Today is our last day in Maine and then back to school. It has been a fun and relaxing break with a lot of good food and good sleep. It will be good to get moving again and see my Wesley who I have only gotten to even speak to a couple times since the start of break. He is off in Canada skiing. I miss him! I am excited to see him tomorrow :-) That's all for now...

No comments: