Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Not much going on

This week has been slow so far in terms of planning. Craig (the coordinator) and I have emailed a few times double checking that we are on the same page with the linens, but still no big decisions being made. I forgot to get in touch with the makeup artist which I will have to do in the next few days to confirm that she will be coming. I also need to make a list for who Wes and I are going to invite to the reception in Houston which we will have three weeks after the wedding for all those in Houston who can't make it to Maine. The church in Maine seats about 250, and last time I asked my dad how many were on the list for Houston, he said between 800 and 900. I am guessing he must have been exagerating. Who knows that many people? Anyway, it is going to be in July so I'm sure a lot of people will be out of town. It should be fun though! Wes and I are also going to go to Houston toward the end of February for a party. My mom and I are hoping that Wes will have an opportunity to get to know more of my parents friends during that trip.

The wedding is less than five months away now. Of course I am a girl and want to be in top shape for the big day (and for life in general), so I am starting to work out a little harder and cut back on the sweets (I have probably the biggest sweet tooth ever). My parents are a good encouragement, and they are dropping sweets for a while with me. I have the most supportive and loving parents! They are the best! What a blessing that my mom and dad have not only been so supportive, but seem to really be having fun planning this wedding. I am so excited that it will be in Maine as well because Maine really is like a second home to me. The church we will be married in is so old and familiar, and I have such wonderful memories in Prouts Neck (Maine). It was always one of the best times of the year growing up... August in Prouts and Camp Ozark. It is like a small town... like something out of "Dirty Dancing" according to Robin (the maid of honor). We all grill out on the rocks that Winslow Homer painted on Sundays before we head to the sing. For the sing, we set up chairs in the yaht club, and the whole town gathers as Chippy leads us for an hour in songs from a song book that has not changed since the sing began in the 50s. In fact, Chippy has led the sing since it started. It is just one of those traditions that seems to remain in a world that is constantly changing.

My mom has been going to Prouts for all of her life and so have I. Every summer, my mom's whole side of the family gathers in Prouts, and I have gotten to spend time with family that I otherwise wouldn't see often if ever. My mom's family is spread out over Houston, Arizona, and New York, but every summer, we all travel to the same place and get to spend time together on the beach, at the sing, in the kayaks, on the tennis court, etc. I have gotten to know my cousin's children, and my cousin Will's daughter, Eliza, will be a bridesmaid in our wedding. I wish I had a picture of her on my computer. She is the most beautiful girl!

I love tradition, and I love for things to be meaningful. I really want every part of our wedding to be personal and to mean something to Wes and I. I can't imagine having our wedding anywhere else. I don't know if Prouts Neck was the dream destination for Wes growing up (I actually know it wasn't :-), but for me, it has been just that. To be months away from getting married to the love of my life in a place that has so much history and meaning to me is almost too good to be true. The Lord certainly has blessed both Wes and I with each other!

No comments: