Monday, January 22, 2007

Back From Maine

The planning continues... I took a red-eye to Maine Thursday night and just got back to LA this afternoon. I spent all day Friday through Sunday planning the details of the wedding. I met Craig, the event planner for the first time, and I am beyond thankful that my mom, and I decided to use him and his catering company. He is so helpful! We accomplished a number of things this weekend. My mom and I went with Craig and the florist to the church and the country club where the reception will be to see the space (though I grew up going there I have never looked at it closely for dimensions, etc.). It was freezing! If you think it was cold in LA last week, that was nothing! It was about 15 degrees in Maine. I have been to Maine every summer, but never when it has been snowy, and I am sure glad I don't live there year-round! I am so excited that Wes agreed for us to get married there though, I love it. It feels like my second home and the church is so quaint. It was build in the late 1800s and it is all old wood with shingles on the ceiling inside. I wish I had a picture, but I can't quite figure out how to work pictures on this blog yet...that and I forgot to take one :-) It is really beautiful!

Getting married in Maine is definately a different experience. There is one spa in Portland that charges way too much for everything. They have one make-up person who uses the spa's own make-up and a number of hairstylists. On Saturday I thought I would have a trial make-up/hair appointment. I don't know whether I will do my own make-up, fly a woman from Houston up to do it, or use someone in Portland. Well, I didn't know, and now I am sure not going to use someone from Portland. Every time this woman tried a shade of lipstick on me she would draw way outside my lip line. I kept telling her and wiping it off, but I think she thought that's the way it should look or something...oh well. The hairsylist was better though. I think we will use her.

My mom and I also worked on picking out linens. We tasted cakes, looked at sample floral arrangements, went over the schedule for the rehearsal dinner and the wedding, worked on the menus, talked about transportation, etc. After this weekend I almost thought I wouldn't have much to do in the coming weeks, but on the flight home I made a list of the things I have yet to do, and I realized that the process is nowhere near completed. Don't worry... I will have more to write :-) This upcoming week, Wes and I are going to have our first marriage counseling session; however, I also found out that because we are getting married in an Episcopal Church, that we will need counseling with someone within that denomination as well. We still have to figure that out. I also realized we haven't started learning how to dance, and though Wes will argue he doesn't need to, I think some help couldn't hurt :-) This week I will also be looking at linens, isle runners, and continuing a dialogue with the florist.

Oh, I almost forgot... my dad booked a band for the wedding. Apparently it is a big band, 11 players or more I think, from Boston. My dad seems really excited about them. I am glad to have one booked... we were a little slower to get that done. Anyway, it's coming along!

No comments: